Saturday, 15 October 2016

HYGGE IS ALL AROUND


"Hyggelig" - pronounced "hoo-guh-lig"- is my favourite word at the moment. The adjective of "Hygge" it's a new little word you may have seen creeping into people's vocabulary lately, especially Instagram vocabulary! What does it mean? What does it do? Where can I get it? And no the answer isn't IKEA! It translates as the Danish word for cosiness, but it can take on many forms as I'll explain. The best description I've come across is from Danish actress Marie Tourell Soderberg in her beautiful book "Hygge The Danish Art of Happiness" where she describes it as "finding happiness in the little things in life". And whilst it might feel a new word and a new concept to us, for the Danes it has been around for years and years, evolving with their climate and their character. It's just that as we've headed into Autumn somebody's spotted an opportunity to make it the buzzword du jour, or as my friend put it in a text to me the other day "that trendy Scandi cosy thing" - not that I'm being cynical or anything! I admit, I felt a little bit late to the party on this one, but once I started reading Marie's book, I realised that it was actually something I was already doing, I just didn't know there was a Danish word that could sum it all up so cosily for me!

#livethelittlethings #collectbeautifulmoments #thingsthatmakemesmile #findingbeautyintheeveryday #momentsofmine have to be the most some of the most popular hashtags I see on people's (my own included) pictures on Instagram lately. We all feel caught up in our busy, busy lives don't we, full of the stresses and demands of partners/children/family/work and the antidote at any given moment is to look for a bit of breathing space, a little escape, something to ground us and make us feel good. An instinctive reaction, that is exactly what Hygge does, what hygg-ing is, why something is hyygelig. And that can come in many different forms. Savouring a cup of coffee; a cuddle with your husband/son/daughter; cooking your favourite meal; feeling the sunshine on your face; noticing the beauty of the world around you; a drink with friends or quite simply snuggling up on the sofa with a book; even writing this blog - I know there will be many who agree - brings about all sorts of hygge. It is something - anything that brings about feelings of warmth, contentedness, peace, safety, happiness.
____________________________________________________________

HERE'S TO FRESH COFFEE, SUNSHINE, MORNING WALKS,
BLOOMING FLOWERS, GOOD BOOKS AND ALL THE OTHER
SIMPLE BUT GLORIOUS PLEASURES IN LIFE.
____________________________________________________________

That's why this magical little word resonates with so many of us. Doing these things - hygging - re-energises us, motivates and inspires us, and helps us create that so important balance in our lives. It is essential to our wellbeing and it is something that is unique to each and every one of us. It is Hygge.

Here are some of the things where I find hygge for me:



Fresh flowers; fresh, home cooked food
and fresh air - preferably by the sea



Walks with Sammy; my favourite tree; and the 
late afternoon sunshine in my living room



A little self indulgence in the form of coffee with 
my best friend; a candlelit bath; and a day with 
just my husband - my rock



Looking back on old photo's; morning snuggles in
bed; my tribe - my world

____________________________________________________________________________

"HYGGE IS FOR EVERYONE - WHOEVER YOU ARE, WHEREEVER YOU ARE"
____________________________________________________________________________



One of my favourite quotes from Marie's wonderful book which is full of gorgeous pictures, unique perspectives and plenty of inspiration to help you create hygge in all aspects of your daily life. Hygge is all around, you just have to know where to look for it.

Intrigued? You can buy Marie's book here.

And on that note, I wish you a Hygglig weekend!

Joanna
xxxx


No comments: