Sunday, 22 January 2017

A January stay at The Pig in The New Forest


When Philip and I were thinking about our plans for this year, spending time together - just the two of us needed to move back further up the list of priorities we decided. And I don't mean just an evening out, I'm talking about a night or two away. Not surprisingly, and certainly not through lack of wanting to, it's something that's definitely slipped these last few years. Life gets in the way doesn't and it so often becomes one those "things we must do". And, you know, when you haven't got any Grandparents around, organising childcare becomes a little bit more complicated doesn't it, something I touched upon here and something I know/am sure I'm not alone in. My sister and friends are more than happy to accommodate our girls, for which I am very grateful, but I'm always mindful that they've got busy lives too!


So organising even the briefest of escapes always feels quite monumental and needs careful consideration. Cue The Pig Hotel in The New Forest and their winter offer for a midweek stay for two. The perfect solution for Philip and I. Midweek - so the girls are at school meaning that they can go back to friends for just a brief overnight stay; The New Forest - Brockenhurst to be precise - just a forty five minute drive from home; when you've only got twenty four hours to escape you really don't want to be spending it travelling.January - well what better way to brighten up an otherwise quiet month and as you'll see from my photo's, we had THE most amazing, beautiful crisp sunny winter weather! And we've dined there and stayed at it's sister hotel The Pig on the Beach at Studland, so we knew it would be good. So with my 2017 mantra of "Make It Happen" I seized the moment, arranged for the girls to stay with my best friend, arranged for the dog to stay with the dogwalker and booked our 24 hours of precious time a duex.

Whilst spending time with Philip was of course my priority she says with a cheeky smile, I took a LOT of photo's and you'll soon see why! The hotel, the rooms, the surroundings are just so gorgeous and I know so many of you enjoyed my insta-story tour and the couple of pics I posted during our stay. So just to entice you even more, here's the lowdown on our stay at The Pig at Brockenhurst...

SLEEP

We were very lucky to be upgraded upon arrival from a comfy luxe room to The Hen House. One of their two hideaways, The Hen House is a gorgeous two storey abode set away from the main house in the former Stable Yard. A really romantic hideway!



The stable door leads you in where downstairs you will find a sumptuous bedroom with a super king size bed (boy am I getting one of those when I replace our bed this year!) and the first of two - yes two - bathrooms! What I love about the rooms at The Pig is that they are always luxurious, yet homely and comfy. Everything is thought of including a cupboard larder with a fridge chilling champagne and wine, chocolates and other goodies for you to indulge in and, most importantly of all for me, a Nespresso coffee machine. That's a very big tick in my box!





Upstairs, however, is what makes this hideaway just SO special. Upstairs you are greeted by a large bathroom with a deep Victorian rolltop bath perfectly positioned for you to enjoy the wonderful views across the forest, a walk-in Monsoon shower, his and hers sinks and, wait for it... a woodburning stove! How's that for hygge-factor!








EAT

For dinner and breakfast we ate in their signature conservatory restaurant. "Piggy Bits" are a must - Brock Eggs (a bit like a scotch egg but with ham hock and quails eggs) and pork crackling with fresh apple sauce are still my favourites. For our main course we both chose Ribeye Steak. Admittedly it was the most expensive thing on the menu, but oh my, it was beautiful and so full of flavour. Well worth it! We then moved to the lounge where Jon, our very characterful and attentive waiter, had reserved the sofa in front of the roaring open fire for us. Here we spent the rest of the evening, enjoying a plate of cheese and biscuits and a few more glasses of wine. Simple pleasures.


Breakfast was back in the conservatory with the morning sun streaming in. I've never got much of an appetite in the mornings, but there was an abundance of choice. And I have it on good authority that the full english  - which must have had some piggy-related name that I just can't remember - is excellent.









OUT AND ABOUT

One of the other things a absolutely love about The Pig in The New Forest its stunning surroundings. A walk around the kitchen gardens, the heart of the hotel, is an absolute joy and there's also the smoke house, the greenhouse, the paddock and of course the resident Pig's to say hello to. There's always a wooden seat to be found on which to take in the stunning New Forest that surrounds the hotel.









All too quickly our time was up and reluctantly we headed home, already plotting our next escape. I'd love to have your recommendations as I'm always on the look out for new places to eat, stay and play!

And, if I've inspired you enough for your very own escape to The Pig, then their winter offer for a stay for two runs until the end of February at The Pig at Brockenhurst and it's sister hotels at The Pig - on the beach, The Pig - at Coombe and The Pig near Bath. You can find out details here and you also come away with a complimentary bottle of their Pig Hut wine, which I can confirm is delicious!







1 comment:

Shona Mackay said...

Looks beautiful Jo. Thanks for sharing. xx