Saturday, 7 January 2017

MAKE IT HAPPEN


.... that's what this year is all about for me. I feel like I've woken up from some kind of metamorphosis and I'm ready to grab life by the horns. I have an energy and an enthusiasm I don't think I've known before. In my head, clarity and capacity to think about plans, ideas and life in general on a new level. I've been tackling "stuff" this last week, you know the kind of stuff you keep putting off, facing it head on, sorting out whatever it is that needs sorting out and merrily ticking it off my list. According to my friend Eva, that's known as "kissing the frog" and I have to say, whilst no handsome prince has emerged, my sense of achievement is feeling pretty good. Life's laundry is being gradually brought under control, the first steps in business and blog plans actioned and opportunities to have some fun created. In short, making it happen.



I chatted to my sister this week about how she was feeling about the new year and she shared in my newly found sense of freedom, which was reassuring to say the least! Because without doubt, I am only able to feel this way because the burden of responsibility of the last few years has been relinquished. Heartless and selfish or life moving on as it should? I'm opting to believe in the latter. When fellow instagrammer @mummygriff posted this the other day, it was definitely one of those "Yes, me too!" moments...

Image credit: @mummygriff

I love this analogy and I really don't think my life could be summed up more perfectly. My page has been stuck for far too long now, and whilst I may not have chosen for that page to turn, it has and actually it's OK, it's more than OK. It's good.

So if "make it happen" is my mantra for the year, then this is my resolution for the year. Actually it's a bit more of a life lesson, learnt often through bitter experience - not in a martyrish kind of way - but because for me it can be one of the hardest things in the world to do. Saying NO. Such a small word, yet a word that carries so much weight, so much consequence and, for a people pleaser like me, an the option that takes me out of my comfort zone and has the potential to create confrontation. This just sends me running in the other direction and all too often saying "yes". It feels far easier to deal with the resulting internal dispute, but you know what it's exhausting.  REALLY exhausting! Born from a troublesome childhood of simply wanting to be liked, I have over the years made a very long rod for my back from saying yes, without necessarily thinking through whatever it is that is being asked of me, thinking about the impact, the consequences for me - or my family for that matter. And I must add, it not necessarily meant I've moved up in the likeable stakes either. Lesson learnt.


My favourite Life Coach and, in my opinion, Guru on such matters, Jacqueline Hurst, makes a very good point in her blog about "How to say No":

"WHEN YOU REALLY WANT TO SAY NO AND END UP SAYING YES, YOU ARE TELLING YOUR "SELF" THAT YOU ARE NOT WORTH BEING TAKEN CARE OF"

She's got a point hasn't she!

So from now on I'm going to take my time before I say yes and work on my confidence in saying no when it really matters to me. It's not about being selfish, it's about self preservation, and that can only be a good thing.



So 2017, I'm ready for you. Let's do this!

Jo
xx

No comments: